Thursday, September 3, 2009

It’s happening. No, no, it’s really happening.



Over the last week and a half, I’ve heard myself say it dozens of times: I’m probably going to travel across Canada, I’m planning to travel across Canada, (and then finally) I AM traveling across Canada. I’ve said it to friends and family and, strangely, everyone’s believed me. (“Good for you!” “That’s exciting!” “Totally do it!”) Everyone believed me, except me of course. I was silently coping out. (“Are you really doing this? Are you sure you want to take a month-long train trip from Toronto to Vancouver? Wouldn’t it be nicer to loaf around Montreal instead?”). I then discovered that the best way to convince myself was to go to Union Station, charge $872.55 to my Visa and book one of the earliest possible trains to Winnipeg. At noon on Monday, I did just that. I purchased my Canrailpass and started to believe I can do this.

Disclaimer: I know this trip is not that huge a deal. I’m not riding a coach across Siberia or motorcycling around the world. But covering over 4,500 kilometres in a month is still a feat, in my mind at least. I’ve approached nearly every milestone in my life with a sense of total disbelief that it will happen. It’s kinda like losing your virginity: you’re positive it’s never going to happen to you and then it does and it’s fine. Despite the Canrailpass and my packed bags, I will continue to doubt the trip will ever happen. And then it will. And it will be fine. No, it will be amazing.

NEXT UP: Laura packs her bags...with hilarious results!

No comments:

Post a Comment